Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Humor...It's Not Just For Laughter

I like to think of myself as a pretty funny person. I also like to think of myself as a princess. Can you see where this is going? The point is, others might not agree with me. At times, I believe I achieve a level of humor in my writing. Meet me in person, on the other hand, and it’s not pretty. I make rocks look exciting.

Thank goodness, I’m not the only one who has this problem.

You see, for those of us who think we should be more outgoing, witty, or clever while interacting with other people, take a look at the other people. Unless you’re a comedian - and they have writers, or have prepared all their jokes ahead of time (I’d like to see how they do on the fly), you’re probably like me. Rather bland in conversation. Most people, when you talk to them, especially just in passing, aren’t all that entertaining, either. Maybe we need to learn that conversation can be mind numbing and that’s okay.

However, just in case it’s not okay to be boring, I’ve decided to come up with a plan of attack. Well, I tried to hire a joke writer, but since all the writers are out on strike, I’m SOL (sadly out of luck). I had to look to myself, and to my kids to help me out.

Here’s what we came up with…any conversation mentioning butts, farts, burps, bad smells (which aren’t always farts), nakedness, or all of the above combined, is sure to elicit bellyfuls of laughter (as least from the 10 and under crowd).

How about with adults, then, you might ask? Global warming? No, too depressing. Our kids? No, too competitive. Politics? No, too aggravating. What do we adults have to talk about that doesn’t lead us to want to end it all?

I’ve come to the conclusion that there is nothing. Nothing at all. So that’s why I’m going with my kids on this. At least my conversations will be interesting. Juvenile, but a lot of fun. So, if we happen to meet, and I start running on about the longest fart I’ve ever heard, I advise you to just go with it.

I’m sure you have a similar story of your own!

No comments: