Friday, May 23, 2008

The Push-Reel Mower Challenge

Helping save the planet is one of the ways I try to contribute to the betterment of our world (by night I fight crime). I’m certainly not perfect about becoming more environmentally conscientious, but I’m working at getting better at it, step by step, day by day. Most of you reading this can understand that such a monumental task isn’t always easy as it can involve extra time, energy and effort, all of which many of us sorely lack. The nice thing is that the more you do these activities, the easier they become. The easier they become, the more things you can add to your list. Before you know it, you will be one eco-fabulous person.

And that, my friends, brings me to my challenge…

I call this the Push-Reel Mower Challenge because it’s going to involve you making an extra effort. For me, I’m literally going to use a push-reel mower…all summer. We have a fairly large yard and it takes me about 45 minutes to mow with a regular mower (also a push mower, but a gas one). My lawn may not look as good or as tidy, but I’ll be saving money, gas, the environment, and getting a good work-out all at the same time.

So what could you do for your summer, earth-saving challenge (cause you know you want to do it)? Well, you could hoist up a clothesline and hang your clothes to dry. You could start a compost heap. You could try to avoid driving your car at least two days a week, more if you’re a stay-at-home or work-at-home (these terms are not mutually exclusive, but you know what I mean) dad or mom like myself. You could join/organize a car pool. You could make or buy cloth bags and use those for your groceries instead of those deadly, fish killing plastic ones. Try tracking down and unplugging any electrical items you do not use on a regular basis (sticking to your own house - your neighbor’s doesn’t count) . Maybe you could even build a windmill.

Any other ideas? Pass them along and I’ll include them in future blogs. If you have any stories to tell about your challenge and want to share, send those along, too!

These are all things that take extra effort, but if you tell yourself it’s only for the summer, it might not be so bad. Who knows, you might actually grow to like it! Just remember, take baby steps. Choose one earth-saving task and give it your all. The earth, and future generations, will thank you for it!

Let the challenge begin!

No comments: